• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tefkin

Form 1040 - ES payment voucher for 2021: why would I pay estimated federal tax early? Wouldn't I wait till December to pay and earn income on the cash in the mean time?

3 Replies
VolvoGirl
Level 15

Form 1040 - ES payment voucher for 2021: why would I pay estimated federal tax early? Wouldn't I wait till December to pay and earn income on the cash in the mean time?

Because you are suppose to pay your tax evenly during the year or as you earn it.  If you don't then you might end up owing too much and incurring a penalty.   It's up to you.  The estimates are optional to pay.  They don't get sent to the IRS with your return so they won't be expecting them.

fanfare
Level 15

Refer to IRS Form 2210 for the payment due dates and the penalty for not complying with those dates.

VolvoGirl
Level 15

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v