turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Forgot to add my pin that irs gave to me to efile

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Since you said the IRS gave it to you, are you referring to a 6-digit Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN)?

Is it a new 6-digit IP PIN  (Identity Protection PIN) for returns filed in calendar year 2021?   We can tell you the proper place to enter it.

Have you already efiled without it, or have you not yet efiled?

@ yalandag36-gmail 

I clarified the answer above.  I was thinking of a 2020 return and mentioned a 2020 IP PIN, which was a typo (I've since corrected it above.)  Actually the IP PIN (Identity Protection PIN) goes by calendar year, not tax year.   So for any return filed during 2021, including the 2020 return that people are filing now, a 2021 IP PIN is used.   Did you receive a 2021 IP PIN either in a letter from the IRS in December 2020/January 2021, or did you get your 2021 IP PIN using the IP PIN Retrieval Tool at the IRS website?     We can tell you how and where to enter it in the TurboTax interview, once you reply with whether you already efiled without it or not.

I have a PIN from tax year 2020, is this the same for this year. It was sent January 4th, 2021

@JoeyMick65 wrote:

I have a PIN from tax year 2020, is this the same for this year. It was sent January 4th, 2021

If you are referring to a 6-digit IP PIN (Identity Protection PIN) provided by the IRS to certain victims of ID theft or to folks who voluntarily opt-in to that program, a new IP PIN is required every calendar year for all returns filed during that calendar year.  An IP PIN from January 2021 would be an old IP PIN and would not work for any return filed this calendar year. 

So for any return filed in calendar year 2022 (including the current 2021 return) you need a new IP PIN.    Did you not get a letter from the IRS in late December 2021 or January 2022 with your new IP PIN to use this year?  If not, I've mentioned below how to retrieve the new IP PIN.

NOTE:  If you opted-in voluntarily to that IP PIN program, the IRS apparently doesn't automatically send a letter in subsequent years.  Instead filers who opted-in to that program have to retrieve the IP PIN each year at the IRS website.

In either case, here's how to retrieve your IP PIN to be used this calendar year.

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/retrieve-your-ip-pin

If you don't have an IRS account and can't establish one (or don't want to), you can phone the IRS number shown on that page for the special IRS identity protection unit, and if they can identify you, they will send the IP PIN by postal mail within 21 days.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies