Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Foreign address question

Hello

I moved abroad in June 2021 and have been living here ever since. 

Do I need to input my foreign address as my tax home? Is this correct? 
What sections do I need to input my foreign address and where do I need to input my American address (from when I was living in America)?

I did earn income in both USA and the foreign country?
I want to make sure I know where I enter my American address and where to enter my foreign address.

Any help would be great

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Foreign address question

Yes, your tax home is where you are living, even if it is outside the US. For 2021, you would have had 2 tax homes.  Your current address will be the primary address you will use. You do not enter your previous physical address, just the state.

When you walk through the personal info section you will be given the chance to enter both addresses when asked the state you lived in.  You will select Yes, I lived in another state in 2021, then you will select Foreign or U.S. Possession. 

Your tax home is relevant if you are trying to calculate travel miles.  The address does not need that address, that is something you  maintain for your records along with your mileage logs. 

You will be taxed on income from all sources worldwide.  You will walk through the income section to enter your W-2 from when you lived in the US, then under less common income, you will enter your foreign income in the foreign income section. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Foreign address question

I live overseas but all my US mails are still sent to my US mailing address. 

On TurboTax online edition, what do I specify as my physical address(residence) and my mailing address ?

Do I specify my physical address(residence) as the oversea address, and my mailing address as my US mailing address ?

Foreign address question

Any thoughts ? Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies