Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bostonteaparty1
Returning Member

Forced to upgrade to premium from deluxe

It says that I "sold stock, bonds, or mutual funds", so I need to upgrade to premium. However, I already purchased deluxe. Does premium cover all the things that deluxe does? If so, is there a way to get a refund for the amount I paid for deluxe and pay the full amount for premium? It seems like I am paying too much for both services and I am not sure if both are warranted, or if I can just get premium without deluxe.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

@Bostonteaparty1  wrote:

It says that I "sold stock, bonds, or mutual funds", so I need to upgrade to premium. However, I already purchased deluxe. Does premium cover all the things that deluxe does? If so, is there a way to get a refund for the amount I paid for deluxe and pay the full amount for premium? It seems like I am paying too much for both services and I am not sure if both are warranted, or if I can just get premium without deluxe.

Since you used the term "Premium", I assume you are using Online TurboTax and are thus preparing a 2023 return.

Which Deluxe did you "already purchase?"    Did you buy desktop Deluxe (CD/download), but used Online TurboTax by mistake?     If so, you are in the wrong product--purchasing a desktop product does not allow you to use Online TurboTax.

If you purchased desktop Deluxe (CD/download), it can handle sales of stocks, bonds, and mutual funds without upgrading, but you have to be in the desktop product, since Online Deluxe cannot handle those.

Since you said "already purchased", I'm suspicious that you bought desktop Deluxe and didn't use it, but used Online Deluxe instead.   Please confirm, or explain more so we can understand your situation.    If that's what happened, you can either start over by using your desktop Deluxe (no upgrade needed for sales of stocks, bonds, mutual funds), or we can tell you how to download the tax data file you started online and open it in the desktop product to finish working on it without starting over.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I assume that you are using Deluxe Online, because the desktop Deluxe would not force you to upgrade and would not use the word Premium. If you have already paid for Deluxe Online and you accept the upgrade to Premium Online, you will pay only the difference in cost between Deluxe and Premium. Premium includes everything that is in Deluxe. The upgrade will be almost transparent. You don't get two separate products. The Deluxe Online that you are using will become Premium, and everything that you already entered will still be there, as if you had originally started in Premium.

If you paid for any CD or download software, then answer the questions that mesquitebean asked.

Bostonteaparty1
Returning Member

Thank you for your response. I am indeed using the online Deluxe. I purchased "Turbotax Online Deluxe Tax Year 2023 Prep,Turbotax Online State Ca Tax Year 2023 Prep Deluxe" in April 2023 for $119.20. It is telling me that to upgrade to premium, I have to pay $103.20. How can I guarantee that I will not be charged that additional price if I proceed?

That might be right.   I assume you meant you paid in April 2024?  Currently the price for Premium is $129 for federal and $64 for state.  So I don't know if the extra $103.20 is just for federal or both federal and state.  See how much you already paid for each.  How to review your fees
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online/0...

Bostonteaparty1
Returning Member

Yes, I meant I purchased it in April 2024. If Premium includes everything Deluxe includes, why would I have to pay the additional $100+ to purchase premium? It seems like this is an add-on rather than a product that does everything Deluxe does.

Because Premium has more forms than Deluxe.  It is an upgrade.  The additional $103 is only the difference in price you have to pay.  As I said above the full price for Premium is  $129 for federal and $64 for state (Total $193).   Deluxe doesn't have 1099B for sales, K-1 or self employment income.    See which forms are included in each version......

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/free-edition.jsp#tax-forms  

Yes you can consider it an  "add-on" or you can start out in Premium.  It is just a higher version.    Why did you pay for Deluxe in April if you weren't filing yet?  You don't have to pay for Online until you file or want to print.  Or are you amending a filed return to add other income?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies