Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For the 2nd year in a row Turbotax double counted the state tax refund that i applied to the next year's taxes. My state tax people had to correct it twice.

on the state Tax Payments Worksheet it counted the overpayment from previous year applied to current year twice: on Line 1 (first paymentj) and then again on line 6 ( Overpayment from previous year applied to current year) . Is there is a flaw in the step-by-step queries that allows this to happen  twice in a row?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

For the 2nd year in a row Turbotax double counted the state tax refund that i applied to the next year's taxes. My state tax people had to correct it twice.

Are you entering the previous year overpayment applied manually?  Or anywhere under federal?   What state?  

even though the refund applied is considered as Estimated Payment No.1, Iinclude it on worksheet Line 6, not on Line 1

@potentilla 

New York

i don't remember how i entered it. However, maybe TT can place a warning  about it being entered twice.

Couple ways.  It should have automatically transferred it from the prior year.  And then you entered it again manually.  And when you entered the 1099G for a state refund under income there is a box to check and then fill out the amount of state refund you had applied to next year’s estimated taxes. If you filled that in then do not fill it in again under Deductions and Credits.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies