Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TaxFiler99
Returning Member

For Tax Year 2023 (filed in 2024), TurboTax is failing to ask the seasonal income installment period interview questions for Indiana IT-2210A

I'm really baffled how TurboTax isn't testing the software flows, the calculations, and the filing capabilities of all supported products and features.  I grew tired of spending 2 years being the tester of IT-2210A.  It doesn't do me any good to test it anyways if no one is going to fix it or even acknowledge the issues after 2 years.  And this year is even worse than last year.  It's like TurboTax is allowing me to pay a lot of money for the privilege of testing their software, and then at the end of the day, I can't even file.  I am yet to talk to a TurboTax expert that really understands annualization anyways.  This year, I decided not to pay them.  Instead, I decided to use the IRS's sanctioned Free File Fillable Forms.  It even does some of the calculations for you.  You can find it on the IRS website, and it even allows e-filing and printing the forms, and it's totally free.  It doesn't have any wizards.  You just fill out the forms directly, so there is no room for error, and you can see what is happening.  It was so incredibly easy to use, and each form has the instructions at the click of a button.  Then, I downloaded Indiana's Fillable PDFs and instructions.  The Indiana Fillable PDFs don't perform calculations, but you can fill them out on your computer.  Then, you simply print and mail them.  It was also really convenient, simple, and free.  I've been using TurboTax for over 20 years, but I would like to personally thank them for spending 2 years forcing me to consider these free alternatives.

RDC6
Level 2

For Tax Year 2023 (filed in 2024), TurboTax is failing to ask the seasonal income installment period interview questions for Indiana IT-2210A

It is my experience that the quality of the TurboTax software and support has declined over the years.  I've been a TurboTax user for seventeen years now, and tax-year 2023, in terms of coding errors and missing functionality, is probably the worst instance of the software I've ever experienced.  I was astonished when, after a two hour phone call in which a customer service representative agreed their software had coding errors in the functionality for reporting unevenly earned income, and the related penalty calculation, I was told that I would probably just need to pay the penalty anyhow.  Since when is the customer responsible for the failings of the seller's software?  And why is there so little sense of urgency to repair faulty software when we are this far into the the tax filing season?  I, too, will be looking to prepare my taxes elsewhere!

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@TaxFiler99 

@RDC6

TurboTax was updated on the 7th so that now it asks if your income was uneven during the year and further asks for your quarterly income and quarterly credits.

Could I ask you two to check it out?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TaxFiler99
Returning Member

@BillM223

BillM223, I have already filed my taxes elsewhere for this year prior to the fix.  However, I went back and tried the IN state annualization again in TurboTax, and from what I can see, it does appear to be fixed.  It asked for my quarterly IN AGIs, and it asked for my quarterly IN credits.  After inputting these values, my IN state tax penalty was removed, as expected.  However, since I am not paying to file with TurboTax this year, I can't confirm all of the individual calculations on the IN form IT-2210A.  However, the parts I am able to confirm without paying appear to be working correctly now.

RDC6
Level 2

My apologies for the late reply.  Due to some travel and other priorities, I haven't been in either TurboTax or the support community lately.  I reopened the software today, installed all the available updates, and then selected "continue" with my draft Indiana state return.  Initially, nothing on my return appeared to change.  However, when I went back and revisited the "Review" page in the return it then gave me the ability to enter my "annualized" income and tax credits (which it did not do when I first tried to prepare the return).  The underpayment penalty that it previously calculated disappeared, and my final Indiana tax return now correctly includes Schedule IT-2210A (rather than IT-2210).  This functionality appears to be processing correctly now.

Thank you, Intuit, for making this change!

Yep!  There is also no place to log estimated taxes paid unless you go deep into the federal portion of the forms to log Indiana estimated tax paid for 2023 (paid in 2023 tax year).  Also, no option to create the estimated payment coupons for 2024.  :o(  Not cool Turbo people.  Not cool at all.  I'm helping my 81 yo father pay a paltry tax to a state that should not be charging 81 yo people to live there when they don't make much anyway.  

Now I have to doctor some version of the form I sent him last year to hopefully work for 2024.  Again, NOT COOL TURBO TAX.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies