turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1wagner2

First year having to pay in in taxes; I filed the tax return with payment and when I printed my tax return off it printed a 1040ES Voucher. Do I owe this payment also?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

First year having to pay in in taxes; I filed the tax return with payment and when I printed my tax return off it printed a 1040ES Voucher. Do I owe this payment also?

The 1040ES vouchers are optional.  If you expect to owe at least $1000 at tax time next year it is a good idea to use them and make estimated quarterly tax payments to avoid a penalty at tax time next year.  But you are not required to use them.  You can also make estimated payments online at the IRS site if you want to.   The one you must use if you are mailing a check or money order for 2022 tax due is the one that says 1040V.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

1040es is for estimated taxes because your tax witholding indicates you will owe more taxes than will be withheld during the year. You should pay the amount indicated on the 1040ES by the date on the form.  This helps you to avoid getting a penalty for underpaying your current taxes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies