Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

First Job: W-9 "Name (as shown on your income tax return)..." I HAVE NONE?

Hello. I do have a name, but no income tax return because this is my first job. I am required to fill out a W-9. What formatting should I use then? First, Middle, Last? Or maybe the way it shows up on my parent's tax returns? (I am a dependent).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

First Middle Initial and Last. 

You're overthinking.  First middle last is fine.

The W-9 will be used by your employer to collect your SSN, which they will use on tax reporting documents.  IT's more important that the employer get your name right when they submit their tax documents to you at the end of the year (with a copy to the IRS).  The W-9 doesn't actually go to the IRS.  

What is more important is, what kind of job is asking for a W-9?  If you are going to be a regular employee with a paycheck and a W-2, the employer should be using an I-9, not a W-9.  W-9 is more commonly used if you are going to be treated as an independent contractor or self-employed.  This may be appropriate, depending on your duties and your relationship to the payer, but being considered self-employed has important tax consequences.  You must pay your own estimated taxes 4 times a year since you don't have withholding, and you will likely owe more taxes than if you were an employee doing the same work (often, contractors ask for a wage bump to account for this).

You may want to look at this to start,

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/understanding-employee-vs-contractor-designation

Thank you so much! This is what I will do. Thank you for the resource as well.

you can read that as "... as will be shown on your tax return"

In other words, be consistent on both forms.

And use the name that is exactly on your Social Security Card.

Ask your employer if they will be giving you a W2 or 1099Misc or 1099NEC at the end of the year to report your total pay.  If you are just starting now it won't  be much for December but next year it will make a big difference how you report it and pay tax on it.

as @VolvoGirl states, use EXACTLY as it is on the social security card.... right, wrong or indifferent, use the name on your social security card EXACTLY

it'll avoid unintended headaches in the future.

" right, wrong or indifferent"

if social security has your name wrong, you need to correct that just in order to be able to e-File, and for many other reasons.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies