turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I paid a person $18,000 and gave them a 1099 MISC- how do i enter this as an expense for my usiness in turbo tax?

I want to enter this as an expense for my business but Turbo tax seems to think only in terms of incomer - My forms are already sent into the feds - Im just trying to enter the $18,000 EXPENSE for my small busines. Can't figure out how to do it.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

I paid a person $18,000 and gave them a 1099 MISC- how do i enter this as an expense for my usiness in turbo tax?

First, delete the income 1099-MISC that you entered in TurboTax. The 1099-MISC form that you generated would be an expense listed as Contract Labor.

To enter your Contract Labor business expense: 

• Type Sch C in the search/find bar and click search/find.
  • Click on Jump to Sch C.
  • Click on start/edit or Add Another Business.
  • At the Your XXX Business screen, scroll down to Business Expenses, Other Common Business Expenses. Click Start/Edit. 
  • On the Let's write off some business expenses, scroll down to Contract labor. 
  • Continue with the onscreen interview. 

See the screenshot below.

Related information: What is Schedule C?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
HelenaC

First, delete the income 1099-MISC that you entered in TurboTax. The 1099-MISC form that you generated would be an expense listed as Contract Labor.

To enter your Contract Labor business expense: 

• Type Sch C in the search/find bar and click search/find.
  • Click on Jump to Sch C.
  • Click on start/edit or Add Another Business.
  • At the Your XXX Business screen, scroll down to Business Expenses, Other Common Business Expenses. Click Start/Edit. 
  • On the Let's write off some business expenses, scroll down to Contract labor. 
  • Continue with the onscreen interview. 

See the screenshot below.

Related information: What is Schedule C?

Laura_zzzz
Returning Member

but if I entered there I don't get the whole credit of what I paid the subcontractor

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Yes, you will be able to use 100% of the expense against business income. It will be reported on line 11 of Schedule C. All business income will report on line 7 and total expenses will be added to line 28 to reduce the income for net business profit/loss on line 31. 

Schedule C

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies