Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

First Born Child

How should I adjust my (and my spouse') W4 when our son is born? Does it impact taxes for the entire year and are there any deductions that I should look to take advantage of that may or may not be well know.


Thank you

2 Replies
Employee Tax Expert

First Born Child

HI @InnerMogul 

Thanks for the question. You may want to fill out a new W4 once your son is born. Step 3 of the W4 has a post for you to list dependent children under age 17. This should reduce your withholdings slightly to account for the Child Tax Credit you will receive on your return from that year forward. It's not necessary that you do this, your refund may be slightly higher on Tax Day. Keep in mind that filing a new W4 could change any other selections you have made in previous W4s so you may want to ask for a copy of the old one from your payroll department. 

I hope this helps! 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
New Member

First Born Child

Hi @johnd84 Quick Follow-Up, given that my wife will not be working (on State Disability), would I be able to adjust the deductions further? or should I only claim the 1 dependent in my son?

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings