My 16 year old daughter started working this summer but not to much she is going to continue to work but again only 15hours a week or less. So my question is if I can still claim her and if so how?
You can still claim her as your dependent if she does not provide over one-half of her own support and lives in your home for over 6 months. She can be claimed under the Qualifying Child rules if she meets all the requirements.
If she has tax withheld from her income then she should file a tax return to get the taxes refunded assuming her income for the year will be less than $12,950 in 2022. She will need to indicate on her tax return that she can be claimed as a dependent.
To be a Qualifying Child -
1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.
2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year, (b) under age 24 at the end of the year and a full-time student or (c) any age and permanently and totally disabled.
3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Temporary absences while away at college are considered living with you.
4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.
5. If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child.
6. The child must be a U.S. citizen or U.S., Canada or Mexico resident for some portion of the year.
7. The child must be younger than you unless disabled.
Ok so just to clarify if she makes less than that 12950 then still file but put can be claimed and if doing it on turbo tax she should get guided through correct?
Yes, the TurboTax program will specifically ask if she can be claimed as a dependent. The $12,950 is the Standard Deduction for a Single tax filer. So if she had income greater than the Standard Deduction she would be required to file a tax return. If less she only needs to file if she had taxes withheld from her income and wanted those taxes refunded to her.
Additionally, it is not how much income she receives from working, it is if she provided over one-half of her own support. If she did not then you can claim her as your dependent.
There are very few 16 year old's who can provide over one-half of their own support.