Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Filing Taxes Correctly


Last year you filed my taxes and when it was all said and done, we received over $2,300 less than calculated. I went over this for days and hours with many of your professional accountants. I gather that it may be from a simple typo. My wife's maiden name I believe is still the last name of record for her with the Fed. I don't know if this is it but I really need help to make sure this doesn't happen again. We withhold a lot and depend on that return. I'd also like to know if this can still be amended somehow. Thank You kindly,

Michael F

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

Filing Taxes Correctly

Hi Mikefl80,  I understand the tax refund you received was less than the refund amount reported on your filed Form 1040.  When the IRS makes a change to your tax return they issue a notice to you.  If you have not received a notice, you will want to request a Record of Account Transcript to see the corrections the IRS made to your tax return.


Once you have either your letter, or your transcript, reach out to TurboTax Live and we are happy to explain the corrections and help you determine if you should agree or disagree with the IRS changes.  Once you know the IRS corrections then can determine how to respond to the IRS.


I hope this is helpful!



**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Privacy Settings