turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ziliangx
Returning Member

Filing tax return by mail questions

Hi,

May i have several questions related to filing by mail ?

1. Do i need mail "2019 Form 1040-ES Payment Voucher 1 ~ 4" to IRS ? What are the vouchers for ?
  2. I own Federal tax, i understand i will need write a check and mail together with the documents. However i have refund from CA State tax return, may i ask how will CA State tax refund get back to me ? IRS will mail me a check ?
  3. For the mail address for Federal tax return and State tax return, are they the same address ? Do i need mail the documents separately to different address for Federal and State tax return ?

Thank you so much !

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB
Expert Alumni

1. The vouchers are for making estimated quarterly tax payments. Since you owed on your Federal tax return they got printed. Please see these FAQs for additional information:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301872

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301891

2. TurboTax should have asked you how you like to get the refund from your CA State tax return, if you did not enter any account information then you will receive a refund check by mail from CA.

3. The Federal and State return will be sent to different addresses. There should have been instructions with your printout. But you can look up the address for your federal return here: IRS mailing address.  For your state return please look up the address here:  CA mailing address

[Edit 3/29/2019 5:27]

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DanaB
Expert Alumni

1. The vouchers are for making estimated quarterly tax payments. Since you owed on your Federal tax return they got printed. Please see these FAQs for additional information:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301872

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301891

2. TurboTax should have asked you how you like to get the refund from your CA State tax return, if you did not enter any account information then you will receive a refund check by mail from CA.

3. The Federal and State return will be sent to different addresses. There should have been instructions with your printout. But you can look up the address for your federal return here: IRS mailing address.  For your state return please look up the address here:  CA mailing address

[Edit 3/29/2019 5:27]

ziliangx
Returning Member

Thanks so much.
For question 3), After i print out the Tax return, in the instructions, i didn't see there is anything related to mail the documents to CA mentioned. It only instructed me to mail the check and documents to "Internal Revenue Service" in San Francisco.  Do i need to mail each copy of the print out to 2 different addresses ? In the CA mailing address provided above, i only see the addresses for types of return "540,  540 2EZ, 540NR, SCHEDULE X" and "SCANNABLE RETURNS 540",  but my return is 1040 type, how can i find the correct address ?
DanaB
Expert Alumni

The California State return should be form 540, the federal return is form 1040. The federal return (1040) you will send to the Internal Revenue Service" in San Francisco with the payment as instructed. The CA State return you will send to the FRANCHISE TAX BOARD, PO BOX 942840, SACRAMENTO CA 94240-0001 and you will include a copy of the federal return (1040) with the State return.
ziliangx
Returning Member

Ok, i saw the mail instructions for State return now. Thanks !
DanaB
Expert Alumni

You are welcome.
ziliangx
Returning Member

Thanks so much. Do i need to sign the documents before the mailing ? I didn't find a place to sign.
DanaB
Expert Alumni

Yes you do.  The CA return should have the signature area on the last page of the form 540. The federal 1040 will have the signature in the middle of the page, under dependent. I will attach pictures in the answer.

What is the IRS address we file our "no refund/no amount due," deceased, return? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies