donkiltssr

filing status

My wife passed away in 2021 and I was still able to file as married filing jointly.  However, in 2023 she would have been gone more then a year.  What filing status should I use then??

filing status

For a 2022 return next year you will be Single.  Unless you have a child then you can file as Widower for 2 years.  

You can file a Joint return the year your spouse died.  For the next two years following a husband's or wife's death, the surviving spouse can file as a qualifying widow or widower if they have a qualifying child. That basically lets you continue to use the same tax brackets that apply to married-filing-jointly returns.  After the year of death if you don't have a child you file as Single.

See

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-should-i-file-my-return-if-my-spouse-recen...