Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing Old Back Taxes: IRS mailing address in software is different than IRS site.

I bought the 2017 version of Home and Business TurboTax and I am ready to mail my return. The problem is that the mailing address shown in the print out and voucher are different than the one currently listed at the IRS website for my state. 

Since this software is 5 years old, I assume the mailing address for the IRS has changed....but I am not sure. 

The one shown in the print out is in San Francisco, but the one currently listed for my state at the IRS site is in Ohio. 

Anyone with any insight into this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Filing Old Back Taxes: IRS mailing address in software is different than IRS site.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment

Just so you know....even if that tax form shows a refund, you will not receive it.  A 2017 refund was forfeited several years ago.  If you owe, you still have to pay the tax due and the IRS will bill you later for the late penalties and interest.

And....the accuracy of your 2017 return is questionable, since you can no longer get updates for 2017 software.

What about the tax years following 2017?   Did you have taxable income and file returns for 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022?  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

It's a simple question about the mailing address. 

if you're due a refund, there is no reason to file the return because it is forfeit. if the IRS has requested the return or you owe see this link for where to file based on your resident state. realize that the 2017 app you used may produce the wrong results because no updates are available and it's really based on 2016 tax laws.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment 

@kannary  simple answer: use the address currently listed on the iRS website for your state. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies