Filing HoH and student. when added grandmother

Do you have a question?

22 years old, Filing head of household, and a student. When I add my disabled mom and 78 years old grandmother as dependents, TT states yes they qualify and the refund amount goes up. But the moment I enter their ss# the refund amount drops back down. Why is this happening?? Thanks

You never put a dependent income on your tax return.  It can only go on the dependents own tax return  if they are required to file one.

Do you pay MORE than half the keeping of the household for the entire year?   That would be unusual for a student to do.

See worksheet 1 in IRS pub501 to determine if you qualify.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p501#en_US_2020_publink1000220797

When I add my disabled mom and 78 years old grandmother dependents, TT states yes they qualify and the refund amount goes up. the moment I enter their social security number,  the refund amount drops back down. Why is this happening?