Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

huh4

Filing fee

Why does one page state federal and state e-file is free, when there is no option for the IRS to mail a check to avoid the new surprise $40 fee for e-filing, and $25 fee for state filing?  Those costs conflict with the earlier page and had I known turbo tax was now charging $40 for federal I would have paid an accountant to do my taxes for the same amount as the filing fees and cost of turbo tax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Filing fee

Are you using the Desktop program or the Online version? I assume you are using the Desktop program since you mentioned the $25 state efile fee.  That is only in the Desktop program.  The $40 fee is optional.  It is to have the fees deducted from a federal refund which you can avoid by paying the $25 state efile fee with a credit card.  Or you can print and mail state for free.

In the Desktop program you get one free state PROGRAM download to prepare unlimited state returns.  Then it is $25 to efile each state return including the first one.  

You have to go slow and ready all the screens and watch what you click on.  There is one screen that can trip you up if you are not careful.  See screen shot.  If you haven't filed yet you can go back and remove the extra $40 charge.

ZPay with Refund TTD.JPG

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies