turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Arod824
Returning Member

Filed non-filers, can I still file?

So I've never filed taxes before and work research at the school. I don't earn above the threshold to be required to file taxes so I've never cared about doing so. Someone recently mentioned I could file the 1098-T form for a federal refund and I went through the entire process on here. It showed I was getting the federal refund. However, I filed for the non-filers economic impact payment a month ago and attempted to file through TurboTax, which prompted the response I already filed for the year. Prior to receiving the IRS check, it was going to allow me to file for free. Now, it wants $110 -- my question is would I receive a refund of that payment should I not be able to file due to completing the non-filers? Additionally, would I be able to file for 2018 under the same conditions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Ok ... you must now MAIL in an AMENDED tax return since you already filed one to register for the stimulus.

The fee is for the use of the Deluxe program to complete the return that can be filed even if it has to be mailed in .... your return now  has an education credit on it which required the upgrade to a paid version  ... there is no free version that will handle it.  

If you submitted the non-filer form, it was processed by the IRS as an original filed return.  Any subsequent filing cannot be filed electronically; it has to be mailed in.

If you file your return with a Form 1040X it will be processed like an amended return. 

However, here are two other options:

1. You don’t need to fill out the 1040X to get your return processed.  All you need to do is indicate in a cover letter to your 1040 that you filed a return to get the stimulus check and that this is a corrected return.
  2. You can simply write ‘1040X amended return’ on the top of the paper 1040.

Right now the IRS is not processing paper returns, but there will be no way for your to efile, so this is your only option.  Be prepared for a longer than usual processing time.

The reason you can't efile is because a tax return with 0 income was already efiled for you when you used the non filers portal. The charge from TurboTax is for preparing a tax return with a 1098-T. That form cannot be filed using the Free Edition. You will have to print and mail your return to get it accepted. The normal process would be to complete a 1040X amended return but some are suggesting that you can just prepare and print your "real" original return and write "Amended Return" across the top of it and mail it. 

There is another free product called the Free File Program that you might be able to use to prepare your 2019 return for no fee. https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2026912-how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-free-file-program

You qualify if you had $36,000 or less AGI or $69,000 or less military family AGI or qualify for EITC. Click on See if you qualify then Yes (if you do) then Start Now button, then choose Create an Account.

To prepare and file a 2018 tax return, you must buy and download the 2018 product and install it on your computer: https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

A 2018 return can no longer be efiled. It must be printed and mailed. Mail each tax year separately. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies