Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filed for tax ext & paid state taxes I owed before 4/15. Now trying to file my fed & state taxes but it lowered my total refund by what i owed for state-how do i fix it?

Needed to file an extension for both federal and state returns; I paid the state taxes I owed before 4/15/2024 through the state's website. Now I'm ready to file all returns, but turbotax is saying my refund will only be $134, while the federal return is supposed to be $1,164. The amount I paid in state taxes  already was $1,030, and that amount plus $134 is obviously my full refund amount of $1,164.
How do I get passed this? How do I let turbotax know that I already paid my state taxes, so it gives me my full refund amount?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Filed for tax ext & paid state taxes I owed before 4/15. Now trying to file my fed & state taxes but it lowered my total refund by what i owed for state-how do i fix it?

You need to enter the amount you paid with the state extension.

To enter, change or delete a payment made with an extension request (Federal, State, Local) -

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
Click on Deductions and Credits
Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
On Income Taxes Paid, click on the start or update button

On the next screen select the type of extension payment made and click on the start or update button

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies