Although state returns can be e-filed with your federal return (or after your federal return has already been accepted), it's no longer possible to e-file state returns before the federal.
We're taking this measure to add an extra layer of security to all e-filed state returns.
This new requirement also means you won't be able to e-file your state if your federal return was, or will be, paper-filed.
Also, if you e-filed your federal return as Married Filing Jointly but want to file your state returns as Married Filing Separately, only one state return can be e-filed. The other will have to be paper-filed.
Federal returns are not affected by this security measure and can be e-filed with or without a state.
- Can I file my federal taxes now and skip my state for later?
- I don't want to file my state
- Why is my state e-file still pending?
- How many state returns can I prepare in TurboTax Online?
- How many state returns can I prepare in the TurboTax CD/Download software?
- Can I prepare and file just my state return using TurboTax?