Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

File state taxes only

filed an extension for federal tax owed. Need the state tax refund to pay federal tax. How to file for the state return and then pay federal tax with it?
1 Reply
Level 2

File state taxes only

Although state returns can be e-filed with your federal return (or after your federal return has already been accepted), it's no longer possible to e-file state returns before the federal.

We're taking this measure to add an extra layer of security to all e-filed state returns.

This new requirement also means you won't be able to e-file your state if your federal return was, or will be, paper-filed.

Also, if you e-filed your federal return as Married Filing Jointly but want to file your state returns as Married Filing Separately, only one state return can be e-filed. The other will have to be paper-filed.

Federal returns are not affected by this security measure and can be e-filed with or without a state.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings