Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Federal W-4

Just want to check if I updated my W-4 correctly. 


I am legally separated. We each claim one of our children.


I have updated my W-4 to state "Single or Married filing separately." I do not work multiple jobs so that is NO. Claim Dependents says 2000. I have one daughter I claim. Is this correct? I found the new W-4 to be confusing to want to be sure. 


I prefer to get more per each paycheck and the refund to be small. I do not want to owe taxes but do not need a big refund either. 


Thank you! 

2 Replies
Employee Tax Expert

Federal W-4

If you are legally separated, you can file Married Filing Separately.  If the agreement is that you can claim one of the children, then those entries on your Form W-4 are correct.

Level 1

Federal W-4

Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings