Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Federal taxes have not been submitted by TurboTax

I completed and submitted my taxes on February 3rd using TurboTax. The TurboTax application on my PC displayed a message stating that the Federal government would not start processing tax returns until February 12th and that TurboTax would e-file my taxes within 48 hours after that date. I received an email from TurboTax also on February 3rd also stating:

"We've got your finalized tax returns ready and waiting to transmit for you."

What this means

It's time to celebrate – you've done a great job finishing your taxes early. You're now one step closer to getting your refund.

Next step: Keep an eye on your inbox

Filing with TurboTax early puts your returns at the front of the line to be processed as soon as the IRS opens on February 12.

Within 24-48 hours of that date, you should receive an email from us, letting you know if your returns have been accepted or rejected.

It is now February 16th and I have not heard anything from TurboTax. Is there a reason for the delay? When will my taxes get e-filed?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Did you e-file?  Did you click a big orange button that said “Transmit my returns now?”

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return.

First, check your e-file status to see if your return was accepted: 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

If the IRS accepted it, what does it say here?  

https://www.irs.gov/refunds         

Or does your account say “Ready to Mail?”

Note:  If it says “Ready to Mail” or “Printed” that means YOU have to mail it yourself.  TurboTax does not mail your tax return for you.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I submitted my returns using the Windows desktop application, not the online version of TurboTax. The link that you provided seems to take me to the online version of the TurboTax and it is prompting me to start a new application. 

I don't remember seeing an orange button on the Windows desktop version of TurboTax application.

I did submit the application from the desktop application and received the messages that I stated on my original post. When I check the status now from the TurboTax desktop application, it says that it is "Pending." It also states "The IRS may have delayed processing returns. Check back in another 48 hours." As far as I can tell from the IRS website, they started processing taxes on February 12th. And I never received a message from TurboTax that my taxes where automatically submitted on the 12th when IRS opened their system for processing 2020 tax returns.

Thanks

Keep watching your emails.   The IRS is overwhelmed by the millions of e-filed returns that they began to accept on 2-12.  If your return was accepted they will begin to process it soon and then you will be able to look at it on the refund site.

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return.

If the IRS accepted it, what does it say here?  

https://www.irs.gov/refunds         

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Another message that the desktop application displayed was something about keeping my tax returns in a safe place at TurboTax and that they will be submitted to the IRS on the 12th. I was expecting a confirmation of that it was transmitted to the IRS on the 12th. There seems to be some unclear communication issues on this on the Windows version of TurboTax.

Thanks for answering my questions. I'm assuming that my taxes were transmitted to the IRS on the 12th. I will keep checking the TurboTax application for status update.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies