Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Federal tax return rejection: refile original return electronically or must mail?

Hi friends,

IRS rejected my return because my son didn't check the "someone can claim me as dependent" box on his return when I claimed him as my dependent on my return (Reject Code IND-517-01). We are trying to correct it. 

My son is submitting Amended Return by fixing the dependent issue (now check the box) and e-filing again. No change to tax at all, just personal info. I assume this will be accepted soon by IRS. I (the parent) will keep the dependent (my son) on my return.

Now Turbo says to fix this problem I MUST file my return by mail.  

Is it okay to e-file again and see if IRS would accept my return this time because by the time I refile my return, my son's filing will be corrected ? Would it be bad if I get rejected twice...so should I mail my file just as Turbo says?

Also, secondly, if I mail my federal return, what about State? Do I also need to file by mail?

------

TurboTax...Description of error:
A Dependent SSN in the return must not be the same as the Primary or Spouse SSN on another return where 'PrimaryClaimAsDependentInd' or 'SpouseClaimAsDependentInd' is not checked.
What needs to be done:
This return has been rejected by the IRS because a dependent on this tax return, has filed their own tax return without indicating they would be claimed as a dependent. The dependent's Social Security number (SSN) cannot be used on two separate tax returns, without that indication. If multiple dependents are present in this return, review the Description field. There will be a number in brackets, [?], that identifies which dependent is causing this reject. For example: "[2]" will identify the second dependent from the top. Verify all dependent information has been entered accurately. Correct any misspellings, omissions, or transpositions. Make sure the dependent SSN is entered correctly. If the dependent information is correct and you want to file this return electronically, the dependent cannot be claimed on this return. If you want to keep the dependent on this return, you will have to print the return and file by mail.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Federal tax return rejection: refile original return electronically or must mail?

You have to file by mail---federal and state.  Your son's SSN is in the system for this year and will take months--months...months--- to be corrected by the IRS.   And if you cannot e-file federal you cannot e-file state.

Print, sign and mail your return that claims your son as a dependent.  (and welcome to the huge club of parents whose kids have done this).

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You have to file by mail---federal and state.  Your son's SSN is in the system for this year and will take months--months...months--- to be corrected by the IRS.   And if you cannot e-file federal you cannot e-file state.

Print, sign and mail your return that claims your son as a dependent.  (and welcome to the huge club of parents whose kids have done this).

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks a lot! This clarifies my situation well. 

By the way, is it okay for my son to e-file his Amended Return with only dependent status corrected?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies