Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NJL44
Returning Member

Federal amount due increased after installing an update.

The taxes have been done for a week now. I cannot get them to go through as the error keeps telling us that the AGI from last year is incorrect. It is NOT. The problem seems to be with TurboTax and not the federal government so I waited to see if the problem would be fixed in an update. I just applied the most recent update and the federal amount due increased $427. Am I to believe a tax change occurred between last week and today that has caused my taxes to increase? I printed copies for mailing just in case Intuit didn't get this e-file issue fixed. I am quickly losing faith in this software. I need to know how this is possible. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

It depends on your circumstances why the installation of updates would have affected your tax returns.

Please confirm what AGI you have recorded with the IRS to confirm your AGI records. 

Click here for a further explanation: How do I find last year's AGI?

What if I entered to correct AGI and am still getting an e-file reject?

NJL44
Returning Member

I have already verified with the IRS. I've looked at three versions of actual transcripts on file with the IRS and therefore can say without a doubt that I have CONFIRMED what the IRS has on file. This number matches everything but that isn't my current problem. The question is why did the taxes due go up $400+ AFTER installing an update? An update I just installed, March 22, 2020. Seems like TurboTax is failing miserably this year. 

NJL44
Returning Member

And your answer of "depends on your circumstances" doesn't make sense. Depends on what? If I held one leg out the window while installing the update? The parents belong to my parents. Their circumstances haven't changed. 1: They are both retired and filing married jointly. No circumstance change. Unless this circumstance is that the government is looking for ways to fund this economic bailout they are proposing. This answer makes no sense just like it makes no sense why my taxes due went up UNLESS TurboTax was wrong previously due to the software being glitched, in which case I'll refer back to my statement about losing faith in this product this year. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies