Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sapphire1217
Returning Member

F1 student who classifies as resident for tax purposes

I am an F1 student who got classified as a resident for tax purposes. I received several forms: 1098-T, 1095-B, and form 8843. As far as I know, I believe I don't have to file form 8843 because I classify as a resident (correct me if I'm wrong). So I will ignore the 8843. As for the 1098-T, what am I supposed to do with it? I understand it's regarding my tuition bill. I am receiving a scholarship from my school and it is noted on the 1098-T; is the scholarship amount taxable or something? Everything looks filled out already, so I'm not sure what to do with it. The same goes for 1095-B. 

These are the only three documents that I am currently aware of. Are there any other documents that I must fill out? Any insight is appreciated. Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

F1 student who classifies as resident for tax purposes

You are correct.  As a resident, you do not need to file form 8843.  

The 1098-T is for education credits.  If the scholarship income is less than your tuition, then you or your parents (depending on your age and if they are filing as US Residents) may be eligible for an education credit.

If the scholarship is more than your tuition, then yes, that does become taxable income.

You do not need to do anything with your 1095-B.  Only a 1095-A is entered on your return. 

If you have no income, you do not need to file a return, unless your scholarship income becomes taxable income. 

Tax Benefits for Education

Taxes for Grads: Do Scholarships Count as Taxable Income?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies