Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stevewachtel73
Returning Member

Expensed Car Allowance

If my employer gives me a lump-sum car allowance every month, and requires me to also turn in business mileage every month, is the amount left over taxable income?

To be more clear:

Expense report every month with $500 car allowance + monthly business mileage. Will I need to report any of this on my taxes as income?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
stevewachtel73
Returning Member

Expensed Car Allowance

To be more clear:

Expense report every month with $500 car allowance + business mileage. Will I need to report any of this on my taxes as income?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Expensed Car Allowance

It depends.  

A standard car allowance is considered taxable income because it does not substantiate business use. A mileage reimbursement, however, remains non-taxable as long as it does not exceed the vehicle reimbursement amount determined by the IRS business mileage

If the car allowance is not included in box 1 of your W-2, we presume that the employer made the payment under an IRS accountable plan.   

An accountable plan is a plan that follows the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations for reimbursing workers for business expenses in which reimbursement is not counted as income. This means that reimbursements are not subject to withholding taxes or W-2 reporting.

Please ask your employer if you have further questions.

If you need to enter the amount in TurboTax, report the amount as other taxable income.

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Income & expenses.
  • At the screen Your income and expenses, scroll down to Less common income.
  • Select Miscellaneous Income, click on Revisit/Start.
  • Choose Other income not already reported on a Form W-2 or Form 1099.

The new tax law eliminates all itemized deductions that are subject to the 2% of AGI limitation, including job-related mileage and other job related expenses, for 2018 through 2025. That means that a W-2 employee cannot claim any deduction for job-related mileage.

Click Here for additional information.

@stevewachtel73

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies