Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Excess 2022 Roth IRA contribution

OK, I'll admit I'm an idiot, but I'm hoping someone knowledgeable will take pity on me. My wife contributed $3000 to her Roth IRA in 2022, as normal. But we sold our rental home and I guess that income put us over the limit for contributing to the Roth IRA.

Assuming this is correct, I'm wondering about what to do next. We live in California, in one of the disaster relief areas, so have until Oct 16 to file, and also to contribute to an IRA. So, can we remove the money from the Roth, and put it into a traditional IRA?

I guess we will need to pay a penalty, so I probably shouldn't expect the IRS to take pity on us.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Either remove the contribution or  indicate it would be removed by the filing deadline ... whichever works as the program is not set up for the CA extension ... it still thinks you had only up to 4/15 to fix his issue. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Contact the IRA custodian and request a return of contribution + the earnings.  This will happen in 2023 and will be reported on the 2023 return.  On the 2022 return simply don't enter the ROTH contribution since you are reversing the error... OR  indicate the excess will be removed ... either way is correct.

I'm not sure if you know about this, but this is for 2022. We have until Oct to both file and contribute to IRA due to an automatic extension. Does that matter?

Also, I'm worried that I may have made a mistake or something in reporting the sale of the rental house. It was a bit confusing, but I though I did it right, and TT even mentioned that I had reported it sold, but it seemed like there was some mixup with the sale of the house and sale of business assets. I think I originally got it wrong, and did my best to correct it, but I'm not overly confident that I did it right. I had hoped the app would have better guidance for this, but I did a bit of research and thought I had it right.

EDIT: I think the information I read must have been referring to the capital gains for qualifying to contribute rather than disqualifying. Apparently, they are all counted for the income limit. So, I can't contribute to a Roth at all, and can't deduct a standard IRA this year. But I can consider a back-door IRA, although it's a bit too much trouble in my case, I think.

The reason I'm worried is TT is telling me I will have to pay $180/year until it's fixed. But my research leads me to believe that the sale of the rental home should have no effect on qualification for a Roth IRA. Perhaps I need to seek professional advice, which I've never done, mainly because my records are not that great due to being far away from the house, and having a lot of work done by remote payments of various types.

Either remove the contribution or  indicate it would be removed by the filing deadline ... whichever works as the program is not set up for the CA extension ... it still thinks you had only up to 4/15 to fix his issue. 

Thanks, I think I understand the issues now.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies