Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sleal79

Ex husband pay health insurance. what should i put on Taxpayers Health insurance worksheet?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Ex husband pay health insurance. what should i put on Taxpayers Health insurance worksheet?

You should say that you had health insurance.

It does not matter if you pay for it or if your ex-husband pays for it.

Is the policy through the Healthcare Marketplace?  If so, you will need to get a copy of the 1095-A for that policy.  If it is not through the Healthcare Marketplace (such as through his employer or a private policy), there will be a 1095-B for that, but you do not need to enter that in your tax return.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

You should say that you had health insurance.

It does not matter if you pay for it or if your ex-husband pays for it.

Is the policy through the Healthcare Marketplace?  If so, you will need to get a copy of the 1095-A for that policy.  If it is not through the Healthcare Marketplace (such as through his employer or a private policy), there will be a 1095-B for that, but you do not need to enter that in your tax return.

2017 is my year to claim my daughter as dependent; she was covered, all year, by her father's marketplace policy. I am a little confused about how to report this. I CAN get the 1095-A from him but he REFUSES to give me his SSN, which TT asks for.  Also, our decree states that I pay 27% of health premiums.  Can you advise?

First, get the 1095-A from him.  

When you get that, is ONLY your daughter listed in Part 2?  If there is more than one person, then look Part 3, column "C".  Is there anything in that column?

If there is more than one person and there is also something in column "C", then you need to discuss with your ex how to "allocate" the 1095-A.  Generally the best OVERALL result is to allocate 100% to one person (ideally, the one with the lowest poverty percentage).  If it can't agree, it is divided by the number of people on the 1095-A (for example, if the 1095-A covers 3 people, you would enter 33% and he would enter 67%).

When you enter the 1095-A into TurboTax, enter the full amount, and on the screen immediately after that, it will ask if the 1095-A was shared with somebody that is not on your tax return, then you would enter the allocated percentage.

As for his Social Security Number, the 1095-A may show it, but it may have a 'cut off' version of it.  You should be able to get his Social Security Number from your prior tax returns.  Do you have access to those?

As for you paying 27%, that could get tricky to determine that, depending on the circumstances.  I recommend first getting the 1095-A, determine the allocation percentage (if applicable) and enter all of that in your tax return.  Once you do that, come back and I can try to help you with that, once I know the details of the situation.

Thank you so much. I think he is willing to have 100% allocated to him because there are 6 people covered under his policy (my daughter and his 2nd family)  He just will not give me his SSN, but, we have been divorced for 10 years and this is the first time I have asked him for it, which he finds strange.

You will still need a copy of the 1095-A.  When you enter that, on the following screen check the box that it was shared with somebody that is not on your tax return, and then enter 0's for the allocation numbers.

Because of the Marketplace allocation, you need his Social Security Number.  If you tell him that, hopefully he will volunteer the information.  If you can not get it, you may need to file the tax return by mail.  Because you are claiming 0%, I don't THINK his missing Social Security Number would cause any problems.

As for determining the 27%, because the policy is shared with 6 people (and he claims 100%), that makes it difficult.  This method isn't necessarily exact, but it should be pretty close:

(1) Look up the SLCSP for his family of 5 (without your daughter), then look it up again for his family of 6 (actually, that should be column B of the 1095-A).  That RATIO would be the approximate cost for his family of 5, and the 'left over' amount would be the amount of cost for only your daughter.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.healthcare.gov/tax-tool/">https://www.healthcare.gov/tax-tool/</a>

(2) Then look at the 1095-A and also on HIS tax return, look at his COMPLETED Form 8962.  Column A of the 1095-A will show the total cost of insurance (BEFORE any credits).  From that number, SUBTRACT Line 26 of his Form 8962, or ADD Line 29 of his Form 8962.  That gives the 'final' cost (for the family of 6) after the credit.  Then multiply that total cost by the ratio in step #1 to determine his cost, and then then rest would be the 'extra' cost for your daughter.  Then take that cost of your daughter and multiply it by 27%.

Does that make sense?

Yes, that info is exactly what I needed. I really appreciate your help.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies