Estimated Taxes for 2020

Estimated Taxes for 2020

Hi!

I’m trying to estimate my federal taxes for 2020.  I have tried a few different calculators such as TaxCaster, HR Block, Jackson Hewitt, and TaxSlayer.  My AGI looks to be about $36000.  I take the Standard Deduction of $12400.  That leaves taxable income at $23600.  I don’t have any withholding.

Why do all of these calculators I used show a zero tax liability?

Estimated Taxes for 2020

We do not know what other data you are entering into those tools.  Are you entering dependents?  Was the income on a W-2 or is it self-employment income?

Estimated Taxes for 2020

Hi xmasbaby0.  I have no dependent.  No W-2 or self-employment income.  Just dividends, short term losses, and long term gains.

Estimated Taxes for 2020

Thanks to the Bush Tax Cuts for the Rich, if you're living off LT capital gains, up to a point (pretty high, and x 2 for joint returns) you pay no federal income tax.

Estimated Taxes for 2020

Wow!  Thank you!

Estimated Taxes for 2020

You seem to be in the sweet spot, but it's higher still for married couples.