Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Estimated tax

Hello,

I've got unexpected income this year, from which income tax had not been withheld. I estimated how much tax I need to for it, and need to pay it now. 

I 'd like to use my instance of the TurboTax Premier 2019 desktop app, so that it will be automatically included in the calculations when I prepare the 2020 return next year.

How can this be done?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
VolvoGirl
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Estimated tax

First of all it won't transfer or import to 2020 next year so you will still have to remember to enter it.  

You can switch to Forms Mode and open the 1040ES.  If you don't have any listed you can find it in the US Listing of Forms on the right side.  Find voucher 1 and override it.  

Or You can pay directly on the IRS website https://www.irs.gov/payments

Be sure to pick the right kind of payment and year.....2020 Estimate

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Estimated tax

Yes. Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax Help topic.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Estimated tax

Thank you, but this is not my question.

I do not want TurboTax to calculate my estimated taxes. I have calculated them myself from my current and projected situation. What I want is to use my installed TurboTax 2019 Premier to allow me to print a ONE-TIME voucher for 2020 with the amount I calculated, and, most important, remember it, so it is automatically included when I prepare my tax return next year for 2020. 

I did not find this option in the application. I went to W-4 and estimated taxea function in TurboTax, but it "insists" on calculating my estimated payments from various information instead of just accepting my own estimates.

I need a ONE-TIME voucher because my income became unpredictable. IRS allows unequal estimated tax payments, but requires additional paperwork for it.

So, can I generate a one-time voucher with the amount I calculated and ensure that TurboTax includes it automatically into next year's tax return? How?

Alternatively, can I input my estimated payments manually into the tax return?

Thank you

RobertG
Expert Alumni

Estimated tax

You can print next year's estimated tax vouchers (Form 1040-ES) in your 2019 program:

1. Sign in to TurboTax and select the Take me to my return button on the main screen.
  2. Search for 1040-es and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer No to the W-4 withholding question.
  4. Select Prepare Now. You'll be asked a series of questions about your 2020 income. Answer them as best you can.
  5. When you get to the Print Vouchers? screen, answer Yes. They'll print with your federal return.
    • If you get the No Payments screen instead, you don't need to make 2020 estimated payments based on what you entered.

TurboTax won't 'know' how much you paid in estimated taxes when you prepare your 2020 return.  

To enter your estimated payments type 'estimated taxes' into the search box and select 'Go to estimated taxes'

The easiest way to pay estimated taxes is at the IRS website: Paying Your Taxes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
VolvoGirl
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Estimated tax

First of all it won't transfer or import to 2020 next year so you will still have to remember to enter it.  

You can switch to Forms Mode and open the 1040ES.  If you don't have any listed you can find it in the US Listing of Forms on the right side.  Find voucher 1 and override it.  

Or You can pay directly on the IRS website https://www.irs.gov/payments

Be sure to pick the right kind of payment and year.....2020 Estimate

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies