Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Estimated Tax Calculations

Re: The interview for adjusting 2023 income for estimated tax payments (and the Estimated Tax worksheet):

Assume I want to use 2022 numbers for estimated dividends for 2023.  The interview asks for Qualified Dividends  (which is line 1b on 1099-DIV).  Later, it asks for "all other income", without asking for "total dividends" or "ordinary dividends".  Should I enter the amount from line 1a of 1099-DIV, even though it includes the qualified dividends already entered?  I am NOT asking about what to enter for 2022 tax return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You are correct, since line 1(a) includes the amount on line 1(b), you would subtract that amount from line 1(a) when entering other income not already reported, since you already reported the line 1(b) amount.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

When using the W-4 and estimated taxes section of TurboTax, it asks you to estimate your Qualified Dividends in the Capital Gains and Losses section, because those dividends will be taxed at your Capital Gains rate. 

In the "other income and losses" box, include dividends that are not Qualified Dividends, along with interest income, retirement income, and other items not listed elsewhere in the calculation. 

The Learn More links next to these questions contain explanations as to what to enter in the box provided.

So if I am using 2022 1099-DIV for my estimates, and only boxes 1a and 1b had entries, then I would subtract box 1b from 1a to get the amount of dividends to put in the other income box (along with other types)?  In other words, you are saying the qualified dividends would be double counted if I put the 1a box full amount into the "other income" box? 

My question is not addressed at all in the Learn More link.  Is there a link to suggest changes to Intuit?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You are correct, since line 1(a) includes the amount on line 1(b), you would subtract that amount from line 1(a) when entering other income not already reported, since you already reported the line 1(b) amount.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies