turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Error trying to e-file 1041 even though I manually updated software

I need to e-file a 1041, but in spite of manually updating Business as instructed, I get the same Error 54 about not having updated software.

Does anyone know a fix for this? If I cannot e-file for one of the reasons on the TurboTax list, e.g., no taxable income, wouldn't TTax give me one of those reasons as the error, and not that it's a software issue?

Also, I paid almost $200 for this software, so I should be able to e-file, not have to mail my 1041.  Thanks for any help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Have you tried re-starting your computer after the update?  In some cases this will remove the problem of TurboTax requesting an update even after an update has been successfully installed.

1) Did you try the internal update (from within the software) after the manual update...if not, try that.

2)  Have you fully installed any waiting Windows OS updates?   Partially installed windows updates can prevent TTX from updating properly.

______

3) W10 or W11?  A couple other users have reported a similar issue with W11.  IF you are using W11, contact Customer Support on the phone:

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thank you!  I did have an outstanding W10 update but installing it and restarting, and again manually running the TurboTax so-called Superpatch, did not allow me to e-file.  I got the same ERROR 54.  Thanks.

@diycpa 

Hit that Customer Support link I posted above.

A bunch of others are having trouble with the "Business" software too.  (I see you posted in that other thread topo.)

The software folks are going to need a bunch of call-ins logged and an investigation going.

For those that want to see the other thread:

Re: Unable to transmit efile for Business 2022 Desktop (intuit.com)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Is it okay for me to uninstall and re-install TTax, hoping that I can then e-file?

If I do that, will all of my current return info show up, so I don't have to do the return again? 

I am using the downloaded version, and I see in my folder ".tax2022."  Thanks.  

@diycpa When the TurboTax software is uninstalled and then reinstalled the tax data file in the TurboTax folder is not affected by the uninstall or reinstall so your tax data is not affected.

Thank you!  Fortunately it started working this morning. Thanks again!

thimta

I am sorry that you could not e-file,

I could not e-file either. I got stuck at the near last screen where I was entering my information to pay $25 for my state filing. I lost 2 hours in vain to do that.

Something had been wrong with the program. The simplest solution call Turbo Tax at [phone number removed], and talk to a real person.

I was lucky to have the very knowledgeable, very pleasant lady expert Laura to help me e-filing. This was done after about 40 minutes.

Best wishes !

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies