Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

error/contradictions regarding itemized/standard deduction in TurboTax Mac - how to report to Intuit without waiting on hold for agent?

I am preparing 2021 taxes using TurboTax for Mac. My itemized deductions are about $150 more than the standard deduction. I live in Maryland which requires you to take a (very small) standard state deduction if you take the standard deduction on your federal return.

After entering all deductions into Turbotax and watching the "Maximizing Your Deductions and Credits" animation, I get a screen saying "you're getting the maximum refund possible. Good News: You're getting a standard deduction of [x]."

Continuing to the next page, the screen says "We've Chosen Itemized Deductions for You"...your federal itemized deductions of [x+$150] are your best option because they will save you more money than the standard deduction of [x]."

Which totally contradicts the previous screen.

When I select "change your deduction method," it shows "itemize" already checked.

When I go to the Maryland state return, TurboTax defaults to the standard deduction, even though "itemize" is checked in the federal return. This reduces my Maryland refund by well over $1000 compared with itemizing.  There is no option to manually change the deduction method on the state return, presumably because TurboTax is aware that Maryland doesn't allow using a different deduction method.

I tried adding a dummy charitable donation of $500, making my itemized deductions $650 more than the standard deduction instead of $150 more. The program behaved properly then, displaying an itemized deduction on both of the Federal pages above and itemizing deductions in the Maryland return.

Is there a way to request a bug fix from intuit other than calling and waiting on hold to talk with an agent? As it is, I can't use the program to calculate estimated taxes accurately, which I need to figure out in the next couple weeks. Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

error/contradictions regarding itemized/standard deduction in TurboTax Mac - how to report to Intuit without waiting on hold for agent?

The state software programs are not ready.   Your problem might go away if you wait a few weeks for the updates that are needed in the software programs.    Since you cannot e-file yet, and the IRS will not accept e-files until around the end of January or even later, there is not a hurry to file.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies