turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jshea

Error 42016

I filed a return in April using this software. Now Turbo Tax won't accept the updates. ???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Error 42016

I was able to resolve Error 42016 by downloading and installing the latest version of the program from my downloads. (use your license code for download access if you purchased a cd)  When you receive message that a previous version is already installed, choose Remove to uninstall.  Once uninstalled, right click on the freshly downloaded program and choose Run as administrator.  Proceed with installation.

When you launch the program, if the error 42016 message persists, click Try Again.  When the error message persists a second time, click Don't Try Again.  For me, the update then began to download and was successfully installed.  Upon relaunch, the error no longer appeared.  

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Error 42016

mc59

Error 42016

Not able to perform updates. error 42016

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Error 42016

If you're having trouble updating your TurboTax 2019 for Windows Individual software using the "Check for Updates" method, you can get the latest federal program update here:

1. Close TurboTax and all other programs except this browser window.
  2. Click here to download the 183 MB update.
  3. Save the update file to your Windows desktop.
  4. Double-click the update file w_perrelsuperpatch... on your desktop to install the manual update.

Please click Manually Update TurboTax for Windows Software (Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business) to learn more. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Error 42016

I have now spent several hours on the phone, with little help from customer support trying to resolve Error 42016.   I have used Turbo Tax for years and never had a problem.   My tax return is complete but I cannot submit the return because it wants to update the software before filing.   I am starting to think Taxcut is a better option

Error 42016

@pmangan368 wrote:

I am starting to think Taxcut is a better option

It is probably not. Have you checked their support network? Do they have a community such as this one where you can ask questions? Phone support? 

Error 42016

I have done this numerous times! I downloaded manually, went through the whole update, sometimes it says need to restart device and locks up. Sometimes it says update complete then brings up Turbo tax like I am starting over. I open current file, goes through, then says check for updates and circle starts over.

DonnaLO
Expert Alumni

Error 42016

Here is some information that may help:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/state-loop-indicates-turbotax-is-up-to-[product ke...

If you continue to have problems please contact Technical Support using this form: 

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/ 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Error 42016

I was able to resolve Error 42016 by downloading and installing the latest version of the program from my downloads. (use your license code for download access if you purchased a cd)  When you receive message that a previous version is already installed, choose Remove to uninstall.  Once uninstalled, right click on the freshly downloaded program and choose Run as administrator.  Proceed with installation.

When you launch the program, if the error 42016 message persists, click Try Again.  When the error message persists a second time, click Don't Try Again.  For me, the update then began to download and was successfully installed.  Upon relaunch, the error no longer appeared.  

Error 42016

I am having the same issue with error code 42016. I have also seen evidence that this occurred before in prior years. Why can't they fix it once and for all?

Error 42016

When I try to download using the code it says:

This license code has already been associated with an account. Please check that account and look for it in Downloads.

I looked in my downloads and it is not there.

Bquick

Error 42016

None of the solutions have worked for me. This will be the last year that I will purchase and/or use TurboTax.

ktabor3

Error 42016

I had the same issue the last few days.  Simply close TurboTax and try it again.  There was a problem on TurboTax's end.  I was able to install the update the normal way and file my taxes a few minutes ago.  Try it again!  The manual install method didn't work yesterday and it didn't have anything to do with my WebRoot antivirus software.

ktabor3

Error 42016

I recommend you shut down TurboTax and try it again now.  I had the same problems for a few days but it worked for me about 10 minutes ago.  No need to manually install TurboTax update (didn't work for me).  Run the program and update when prompted.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies