Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

arbe
Level 1

Entering Social Security income

Using TurboTax 2023, Premier. Fails repeatedly attempting to enter both husband and wife Social Security income. Now I am not even sure if I can override the incorrect number with the sum of the two correct numbers.  It also raises a lot of questions about what else is going wrong internally.  This used to be a straight forward  program (some years ago) and I went to Turbo because a competitor's program was even worse.  What happened in the last few years that it can't seem to work? Other than just trying to be cutesy above functional.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I haven't seen other threads about issues with entering Social Security.  do you have all updates.  if so, try contacting support because it's unclear as to exactly what the problem is or what may be causing it. If you override, you will not be able to e-file. and Tubotax's accuracy guarantee is void.

5am-5pm Pacific Time (8-8 Eastern) Monday - Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

800-446-8848

Are you certain you have your return set up as a joint return?   In MY INFO, when it asked if you are married---did you say YES?   Next, when it asked if you want to file together with your spouse, did you answer YES?   Then it would have prompted you to enter your spouse's information, including her SSN, etc.   That gets you set up for a joint return.

When you prepare a joint return using TurboTax, every income screen will have a spot to enter income by name.

The primary person's SSA1099 will be entered first, and then when you click to add another SSA1099 it will give you a spot with your spouse's name so that you can enter her SSA1099 under her name.

If something is going awry with that, contact support to see what is wrong.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

Customer support is available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time Monday-Friday

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies