Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CollegeParent12
Returning Member

Entering College Tuition paid for a child

If you paid tuition out of pocket for your child's schooling, where/do you indicate that in TurboTax?  Is that fully covered just by entering the 1098-T info provided by the school? Or is there somewhere else specifically to indicate the amount I paid out of pocket. 

Additionally, when the 1098-T information transfers over to Mass State taxes in TurboTax, you are presented with a page that has "Your Federal Tuition Paid" amount automatically filled in by the transfer, and two additional blank boxes for 'Undergraduate Tuition Paid' and 'Graduate Tuition Paid'.  She is an undergrad.  Do I need enter how much I paid in the Undergraduate box, or is it already covered in the Federal amount?  If I enter somethingin the undergrad box, I get a bigger return, but is this double dipping by entering in both Federal and State? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Entering College Tuition paid for a child

The 1098-T should cover everything that the school billed you or your daughter whether it was paid by grants, scholarships, cash or loans.  So, all you need to do is enter the 1098-T as it appears, there is no place special that you need to indicate out of pocket payments to the school.

Yes, that would be double dipping so no, you should not enter it a second time if you are already getting a credit in MA for the amount that is included in your federal return.  To be sure that you are getting the tuition deduction for MA you can look at your MA Schedule Y like 11.  If you do not see the credit, then you can add it to the state section, however, you should already be getting the credit based on the federal carryover information. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies