Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

enter mortage interest and property tax for rent out a room

I rent out a room in my primary property this year. Assume it is 20% of my entire house. I also live here.

My interest payment is around 23000, but due to limit of using interest of 750000 in loan, the calculation by turbo tax is 19000 for 1098 interest. Should I split this 19000 manually across the property tax in rental (20%) and in the Deduction & Credits (80%)?  TurboTax says it will automatically allocate it for me, but after I enter the entire amount (23000) in the rental, it does not show up in the Deduction & Credits. Or can I just do not enter anything inside the rental, but put them in the Deduction & Credits?

Besides, for the property tax, should I also use the similar calculation and split? Property tax seems to have a limit of 10000.

Deduction & CreditsDeduction & CreditsRental info in Schedule E in Wages & IncomeRental info in Schedule E in Wages & Income

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
HopeS
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, TurboTax does not support the calculation for the mortgage interest limitation when you rent a portion of your home.  You will need to manually adjust the interest deduction amount on the Tax and Interest Deduction Worksheet for Schedule A, Form 8829 and/or the Schedule E Worksheet if you are subject to limitations. Refer to IRS Publication 936 for help if necessary.

IRS Publication 936

@davy_xyly 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks very much for the reply! Do you mean I need the money shown in the following picture, and manually split it based on the rental area of my house into schedule A and E?

mortgage interest adjustmentmortgage interest adjustment

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Yes, you will need to manually allocate the mortgage interest and property taxes between the rental on Schedule E, and your itemized deductions on Schedule A. 

Please see Renting Part of Property in IRS Publication 527 for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies