Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gerbils

Employer contributed $2000 to a HSA. We do not have a High Deductable healthcare plan. I don't know how to get past this part asking Form 8889-T form.

Employer set up a HSA and contributed $2000. My wife and I do not have a High Deductable healthcare plan. Apparently that makes us not eligible for HSA.  HSA contribution shows on my W2.  I don't know how to get past this part asking for a Form 8889-T form information.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
suzifan

Employer contributed $2000 to a HSA. We do not have a High Deductable healthcare plan. I don't know how to get past this part asking Form 8889-T form.

Look it up on Google, but I always thought that an order to have an HSA, you had to have a HDHP

https://www.google.com/search?q=if+you+have+an+hsa%2C+don%27t+you+have+to+have+a+high+deductible+hea...

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If you are sure you do not have a High Deductible Health Plan, you'll need to pull that money out of the HSA account before April 15th. 

Tell the program you are going to do that.  And then do that. 

You do not need to have a High Deductible Health Plan to HAVE an HSA account, but you do in order to contribute. (or let anyone else contribute) 

@gerbils  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@KrisD15    Don't you need a form from the HSA custodian to request a return of an excess contribution? This could not easily be done before April 15.

This is not a simple withdrawal so at this point wouldn't the recommendation be to file for an extension so that the excess can be removed with a later deadline? 

gerbils

I don't know what the real definition of WITHDRAWAL is.  I just have access to the bank account that has the money in it.  I just paid medical expenses with it.  Since I find that I am not ELIGIBLE, then I think it will just roll into income and get taxed an extra 6%.  Return of excess contribution would just go back to employer? 

gerbils

If I pull that money out of the HSA account it rolls to income or goes back to employer? 

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

You are going to be taxed on that money AND penalized for contributing to the HSA.

If you pull the money out and stick it in your pocket then you'll still be taxed on the money but you won't be penalized for making a contribution to an HSA when you don't qualify.

If you can't pull the money out by tomorrow then file an extension so that you can pull the money out before October 15th.

@gerbils 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies