Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Karen B2
Returning Member

EIN for Revocable Qualified Spousal Trust?

We set up a Revocable Qualified Spousal Trust in 2015. 

TurboTax isn't allowing me to e-file my 2023 taxes unless I provide an EIN for the trust. (This has not happened in previous years.) 

We use my husband's SSN on any accounts for assets held in the trust and don't have an EIN. 

Is there a work-around for this situation, or do I need to apply for the number in order to e-file?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
M-MTax
Level 11

If you're getting a K-1 for some reason you need an EIN. Grantor trusts don't need an EIN but issue grantor information statements not K-1s.

Karen B2
Returning Member

M-MTax, you may have identified the problem. The Federal form that is showing the missing EIN is "Form 1041 Schedule K-1 Worksheet-Estates and Trusts." We do receive a K-1 from an energy development LP that is owned in the trust account, but it was issued using the SSN.

Somehow do I fix this? I can apply for an EIN, but then do I need to change every account that is now identified by the SSN? 

What kind of K-1 did you get?  Is it really a 1041 K-1?  There are  3 kinds,  1041, 1065 & 1120S.  Did another Trust or Estate send you the K-1?  You may have entered it as the wrong kind.  

And if you got a K-1 (Form 1041) it is asking for the EIN of the Estate or Trust that sent the K-1, not your EIN.  Does the K-1 look like this?

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1041sk1.pdf 

M-MTax
Level 11

We do receive a K-1 from an energy development LP that is owned in the trust account

I'll bet that's the problem.....you're entering the K-1-1065 as if the trust was a separate entity and Turbotax  wants an EIN for separate entities. Try entering the K-1 as if you received it personally......which you did because the trust is disregarded.

Karen B2
Returning Member

VolvoGirl, The K-1 is form 1065 as pictured in the link you posted. But I'm thinking it may not be the cause of my issue. It was sent by a limited partnership, (not an estate or trust) and I directly entered the info because it wasn't available to download. I designated the income as going to "both of us" and made no reference to the trust. 

The error flag for the missing information is on a K-1 worksheet. It is clearly asking for an EIN for our trust in Part 1, line A. Interestingly, there isn't any information or figures on that worksheet beyond parts 1 & 2, so I have no idea what input generated the worksheet. I tried printing the forms for filing by mail and it wasn't part of the return.  I also made a copy of the return and tried deleting the worksheet altogether and it made no difference in the amount owed and didn't trigger any other error flags. Am I asking for trouble if I just delete the worksheet?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies