jjhart9869

Efiling 2020 Turbotax Business Software Error due to Designation of Partnership Representative

I am filing for my LLC and my return is correct but when I try to Efile, Turbotax gives me an error associated with my Designation of Partnership Representative.  I am the Representative.  When I enter my information in the "red" areas, it tells me that this is not accurate because I used a SSN.  When I delete the information, it tells me I need to enter the information.  A very strange and frustrating loop.

I created a diagnostics number.  756358 I just want to efile my taxes.  Help would be appreciated

kb7mgb

I have the same problem.  Did you get an answer?

jjhart9869

No. They opened an investigation. But this problem has been around for at least one year. Seems like it should be the easiest of fixes. But since they haven’t fixed it yet, I have zero confidence they will before filing date.  I’ll give them a week, then file by mail.

jjhart9869

Holy Crap!!!!!!!!  This worked!!!!!!!!!

I opted out of Centralized Partnership Audit Regime.  Had to search a bit to find it.  Then I had to enter the SS#s with dashes, otherwise it doesn't recognize it.

But I successfully filed my taxes.  Thank you Yanjun98

pdpantages

I see the same problem.   I have the representative as an entity (LLC) and my name as the "designated individual". 

Any news on this?  

jodilynn

I had to solve this by finding the form K-1 Wks and unchecking the box for the designated partner representative, then going back to the error screen and entering the SSN/address information manually. 

willie442ozzie

This Works,! Thanks,😀 have be trying everything for 2 days.

This fixed my looping problem as well.

pdpantages

OK I finally got through this.   The error is emitted when the PR's ID number is in the SS format: [social security number removed].   T-Tax thinks that this is an individual so the second designated individual isn't needed.

Changing the PR's format to the (EIN?)  format: 12-3456789 clears the error and allows  you to fill in the  designated individual.

I changed the format in the K1 worksheet.  I didn't have to uncheck/check the PR box, just reformatted the PR's ID.

If you change the format in the step by step "partner information" this will also work.

It looks like t-tax formats these IDs as SSN if you just type it in without any dashes; that was the root of it all for me.  If you start off with xx- it enters correctly. 

pjsmotel

ive had this problem since last yeatr...why dont they fix this glitch? I changed the ss number to employer id format and it allowed it to e- file. thank you for the suggestion