Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

EE Savings Bond Interest Rate

I just cashed in a EE Savings Bond issued in June 1994. The bank told me the interest amount and I will include that on my 2024 tax return. I knew the interest amount last month (May 1994) but wanted to wait until June so I would get the 6-month interest for the period (Jan. 2023 - June 2024). I thought it the rate was 4% compounded semi-annually. The difference in interest ($25.00) face value between May 2024 and June 2024 is only $0.28. If I did my arithmetic correctly, that's less than 1% annually. Could that be correct? If so, I should cash in my other savings bonds that reach 30 years in the next few months and years.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

that seems correct because the 28 cents only represents the additional interest from May to June

the value including accrued interest in December 2023 80.44. 4% for 1/2 year about $1.60. one month

+1.60/6 or 28 cents. 

I'm a little confused. I thought interest is only "earned" every 6 months. If I cashed the savings bond in Jan. , Feb. March. April or May, I would have gotten $0.28 less than cashing it in June. June was the end of the 6-month period and also the 30-year end.

Here is the Saving Bonds Calculator.  You can get the value for any time period.    I  entered all my bonds and saved my inventory.  So every 6 months or so I can look up the value to enter into my Quicken program.  
https://treasurydirect.gov/BC/SBCPrice

@mitchden1 wrote:

I'm a little confused. I thought interest is only "earned" every 6 months. If I cashed the savings bond in Jan. , Feb. March. April or May, I would have gotten $0.28 less than cashing it in June. June was the end of the 6-month period and also the 30-year end.

Be aware that the government has changed the rules on interest calculations several times, so for a bond issued in 1994, you need to know what the 1994 rules were, not what the rules are today.  

The saving bond calculator works better in Internet Explorer than google or chrome.  Here's what it looks like

Sav Bond Calculator.jpg

Thanks.  I never knew that I can cash out a Bond before the end of a 6-month period and not lose any accrued interest. Was I earning 4% interest on the Bond that was issued in June 1994?

I have other bonds that were issued in September 1994 and October 1994. Would you know if those bonds are also earning 4%? 

Just enter them into the Treasury calculator i posted the link above.  It will give you the current rate on them.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies