Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Education Expenses 1099-Q and 1098-T where to enter?

1099-Q  which is a Coverdell ESA type. The Recipient listed is my son , wife is the RESP INDIV 

We took the distributions to pay tuition cost and some material expense like books and a new computer for remote learning.

The form 1099-Q lists a gross distribution , the full amount withdrawn went to their educational expenses. No room and board since living at home attending community college.

box 1 contains the distribution amount , box 2 earnings  is blank , box 3 Basis is blank , box 4 trustee to trustee transfer is not checked , box 5 plan type is Coverdell ESA ,box 6  if checked recipient is not designated beneficiary  is not checked , distro code is ' 1 ' , fair market value on Dec 31,20 box states the value 

TT indicated that since they are listed as a dependent then it may not need to be entered in my son's taxes.

Is this true?   When I entered it asks for a cost basis as of Dec 31 2020 , which I am having trouble locating 

I do not think I need to enter it on his taxes , but want to make sure.

thank you 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Education Expenses 1099-Q and 1098-T where to enter?

The 1099-Q gets reported on the recipient's return. ** The recipient's name & SS# will be on the 1099-Q. Even though the 1099-Q is going on the student's return, the 1098-T should go on the parent's return, so you can claim the education credit. You can do this because he is your dependent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies