Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Each year TurboTax needs a newer Operating System. Can I skip upgrading and use my older Operating System with online tax prep?

Can TurboTax online work with an Operating System that is too old for the downloaded program?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Each year TurboTax needs a newer Operating System. Can I skip upgrading and use my older Operating System with online tax prep?

Yes.  You only need a browser for online.   Be aware, that the online features and pricing are different and online accounts are only good for ONE tax return.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you for your prompt reply! I don't doubt that you are correct, but I would appreciate corroboration from  another member. Does everyone agree with this answer?

Sure...Just a browser, but there are minimum browser requirements too...though they do go quite a way back.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/turbotax-online-system-requirements/01/25...

...other..

1) no Forms Mode

2)  State for Deluxe & higher versions is always an added purchase not indicated in the main price you see on the main pricing page.

3)   Free is not always available for a person's situation....Free version will only do the very very simplest of tax returns.  No itemized deductions...no brokerage transactions...no SE income.....certain credits can't be used.

(and an opinion:  never use a smartphone...always use a large-screen computer)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies