Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

E-Filing & Printing

I haven't yet received an "on point" answer to my question, so I'll try asking it differently. 

The tax return is prepared. I want to print it out, and then review it on paper (as set up to be e-filed), before e-filing.

I reached a screen headed "We Recommend E-filing Your State Return". For Federal and New York, the choices of boxes to check are "E-file my......return now" or "Do not e-file my.......return now, I'll do it later". A previous screen indicated that in a few screens I would be asked if I want to print. But, when I check the box for "I'll do it later", I move forward but I do not get to that screen. If I check the box to "e-file now", will I get to the screen that allows me to print, before the returns get e-filed? I hesitate to check that box, because it sounds like the returns may be e-filed before I get a chance to print, review, and then e-file. This does seem unlikely, but I don't want to risk it. What screens come up after checking "e-file now"? How would you recommend I proceed?

I know I can go to the "print center" at any time, and print. But as the returns stand now, the returns will not have the instructions for e-filing or any other items which would appear for e-filing only.

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

E-Filing & Printing

@superman23 wrote:

Still not clear on what happens (what is the next screen) after I check the boxes to e-file federal and NY returns now. I do not want the returns to be e-filed yet, only after I have reviewed them.

Also, when I do a print preview, the filing instructions are for mailing, not for e-filing.

The only way your tax returns will be e-filed is if you, the user of the software, in the last section of File click on the large Orange button labeled Transmit Returns Now 

In Print Preview, it does not matter that you receive instructions for mailing.  Only you can decide how you want to file your tax return.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

E-Filing & Printing

When you first start the File section and are on the screen to make a selection to either e-file or print the return, click on Print/Save for Your Records at the top of the page.  You can then make a selection to either print the return or save as a PDF.

E-Filing & Printing

Still not clear on what happens (what is the next screen) after I check the boxes to e-file federal and NY returns now. I do not want the returns to be e-filed yet, only after I have reviewed them.

Also, when I do a print preview, the filing instructions are for mailing, not for e-filing.

E-Filing & Printing

@superman23 wrote:

Basically, there is an early step "do you want to print or save a copy for your records?"  Here, you will get mailing instructions, ignore that because you want to review the return.  Then you proceed to payment of Turbotax's fees, and probably some offers for extra services for an upcharge.  Then the choice to e-file or file by mail.  If you choose e-file, there will be some additional verifications (filing PIN, AGI, bank account), then transmit your return.

Then after you transmit your return, you will see another opportunity to print or save a copy for your records, and this copy will have the e-filing instructions.

And then, after your return is accepted by the IRS, you can log back in and go to print/save a copy, and this time it will have the IRS electronic postmark confirming the e-file.  

E-Filing & Printing

@superman23 wrote:

The only way your tax returns will be e-filed is if you, the user of the software, in the last section of File click on the large Orange button labeled Transmit Returns Now 

In Print Preview, it does not matter that you receive instructions for mailing.  Only you can decide how you want to file your tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies