Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

E-file rejection for duplicate W2, but have verified there is no duplicate W2. Help feature searching for "Fix my return" grossly unhelpful.

I have attempted to e-file twice.  Both times, rejected for duplicate W2.  There are two possible explanations that I can see.  

1.  on 4/14, there was an update run.  During this update, it randomly showed 1478253% remaining on update.  not an exact number, but a seven digit percent remaining occurred.  After this error, I had to completely redo all my stock sales to correct non-existent errors. Every time I deleted a stock sale, I got a code dump.
 On 4/15, there was another update available.  I ran this update, and a previously non-existent duplicate 1099 was found and deleted.  After this, I attempted to refile and still got a rejection for duplicate W2.

2. My wife and I have a part time position with a charitable organization, and we received equal pay, so there are two W2's from the same employer with the same salary on them.  This could be triggering the IRS duplicate detection.  However, in 2019, this did NOT cause efile rejection.

I'm seriously about ready to try a competing product, as my frustration has boiled over.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

E-file rejection for duplicate W2, but have verified there is no duplicate W2. Help feature searching for "Fix my return" grossly unhelpful.

Think I found my answer in this thread here:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/e-file-was-rejected-because-of-duplicate...

My guess is the amount and payor are being used to create a primary key, and so when there are two from the same payor with the same amount, it sees it as a duplicate.  Here's a thought...  ADD THE RECIPIENT IN THERE AS WELL FOR PART OF THE PRIMARY KEY.

Funny, it didn't happen last year, though.

In the link pasted above, the solution is to add $0.01 to one of the 1099's to prevent the two similar forms from being seen as identical.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Also, be sure that the second W-2 is identified as belonging to your spouse. 

If you have already filed,

Always use only TurboTax, the IRS, or your state website to check on your status.

If you need to reach the IRS:

spinellicjs
Returning Member

Yes, I received this as well and verified that there were no extras.  I used this last year and no new employers  were for this year, so I do not know why this is coming up. 

Normally I start to work and file my taxes in the beginning of March, so I wonder if the current updates did not correct something for this and it's a bit early.    I even verified all information on the individual "forms" and nothing extra was there. 

I have used Tuebo tax for the last 10 or so years, but now I too am ready to try HR Block online.  

This years program also gave me an error for filing state of NJ because of business activity, however I have the business edition and never had an issue before. 

Turbotax solution is to mail it, which  defeats the purpose of buying this to e-file.

Very disappointed with this year.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies