Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

E-file rejected due to ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt on Form 1116

no k-1 forms.  I only have 3 foreign taxes.  All from Fidelity, Schwab, and Vanguard on DIVs.

@LinaJ2020, are you saying that TT will not be providing a fix for the AMT Form 1116 using the simplified method?

I will wait a few weeks if there is a chance that it will be addressed.

crmcmast

I experienced the same issue, but read dehollowell post about changing the "various" date in Form 1116 to 12/31/2020 and it worked like a charm (finally accepted)!  

Wasted a lot of time and was very frustrated.  Thank you dehollowell!!!

Sadly, I will be forced to do the same -- unless TTAX fixes this. At least I have til May, and I owe a few bucks, so I can wait.

How does one get on their fix-notification list?

FROM TURBOTAX:

Your Recent TurboTax Support contact

There’s an update on the TurboTax help article you’re following: "Form 1116 Part II, Line lA Date Paid in Wrong Format for IRS E-file Accept".

We’re happy to inform you that we’ve updated TurboTax and resolved the issue you experienced

If you’re using TurboTax Online, it’s been updated automatically. Just sign in and you can continue working.

If you’re using the TurboTax CD/Download Software, download and install the latest update. You can do this through the prompt when you launch the software or by following

these instructions.

If you’re still having trouble or there’s anything else we can help you with, feel free to give us a call.

Thanks for your patience,

The TurboTax Help Team

They didn't fix the problem... They just blocked the ability to attempt to efile with a simplified AMT foreign tax credit.  Major TurboTax fail.

you gotta be kiddin'

It just gets better and better!!!

I too had difficulties getting e-filed due to rejection related to foreign tax credit.  On the 8th attempt to file in went through.  I have been filing with TT for about two decades and always with a FTC.  To fix the issue, whatever it was, I did the following (I only have passive category income):

Part I:  Foreign Country:  RIC.  Do not use "Various" and change it both at all 1099's with FT and on the Form 1116 and 116 Worksheet.  In the 1099's that feed to Form 1116, change Form 1099 Box 8 so that both the imported and input are RIC.  If one was left as "various", I got a reject. 

Part II.  (l) Date paid or accrued.  Again, do not use "Various".  Use an actual date (I used 12/31/2020)

I also checked my prior year Form 1116 against this year to assure the non-numeric items were consistent between the two.  Hope this helps!

I found that until I had all of the above lined up the return would reject.  It took seven errors, but finally figured out when all the various had been eliminated completely that is when the filing was accepted.

Thank you Foxbat. I had eight rejections. Your suggestion re elimination of the "various" entries, use of RIC, and a fake date worked perfectly. Thank you, thank you.  Too bad Turbotax is not as smart as you.

Kat296

I had a slightly different message "IRS1116-ForeignTaxCreditSource-USTaxWithheldOnDividendAmt - Data in the return is missing or invalid. Please double check your entries.".  It didn't even mention date and TT said no errors, but date was the issue.  Changed "various" to 12/31/2020 and it was finally accepted.  Thanks for posting the solution!

I had another problem with the Foreign Tax Credit in step-by-step.  Mine came from 3 stocks from 3 foreign countries.  TT SBS would ask for a list of the countries, but then would only accept data for one country.  I had to fix it in the actual form.

I'm hitting the same problem.  Cannot file because of this simplified AMT method.  TurboTax, please fix this! 

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 2.23.52 PM.png

(1)  Did you check Box 8 (both imported name and name from dropdown menu) for each of your 1099's to make sure there are no "various" entries and that the country is marked as "RIC".  Imported 1099's from numerous banks often come with either "various" or blank and you will need to change that to "RIC" (RIC assumes these are company or mutual fund dividends). 

(2)  Then check the Form 1116 itself to make sure no "various" slipped through. 

(3)  TT does not show "Various" as an error, but when you submit to the IRS the reject comes back identifying a generic "Foreign Taxes Paid or Accrued" error.

So far I and others who have made these changes were then successful in getting our returns e-filed.

Thank-you Foxbat,

My return was rejected twice with Various for both the Form 1116 line 1 A and Part II A.  I changed my 1099 as you mentioned and changed the Part II to a date and my return was successfully e-filed. 

Hi Foxbat, thanks for the advice. I just checked all the items you mentioned. Still does not work.

I have no imported W-2. In fact, I have no W-2. We're on this thread because we live outside of the US and file Foreign tax credit (form 1116). My form 1116 also has no dividend and no interest and no dates. The only date shown is on part II where I fill in the total foreign taxes paid. There's a 12/31/2020. I also tried changing that to 12/30/2020 as some other people have done. It didn't work.

There really is something wrong with TurboTax / IRS electronic system this year with the 1116 AMT calculation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies