Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

E-file rejected due to ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt on Form 1116

It has happened to me several times, in spite of the reviews saying everything is fine. The problem could be a calculation on Form 1116 Part III line 18. This line should be populated by TurboTax with the same amount shown on Form 1040 line 15. 

In my case this does not happen. The two amounts are not the same. I called Turbo Tax twice. In both cases the line fell as I was just finishing explaining the issue. 

I see that I have that problem too; line 15 on my 1040 is not the number that TT put into line 18 of Part III on the 1116, which asks for the number from line 15.  Hmmmmm.

I have same problem. Turbotax, please fix this asap!!! Losing patience.

steve200
Returning Member

I have the ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt  problem.

I tried to switch to the non-simple method.

1. It's a pain to delete the old original forms because TT keeps generating them.  I went through the Interview and switched to deduction, then switched to credit.  That cleared them.

2. When using the non-simple approach, it did not automatically load the carryovers from prior years the way that the simple approach did.  Since I had the pdf from the simple approach, it was simple to copy in the data (instead of going back to last year's form) and it was not necessary to override anything.

It fixed the missing date on the AMT form.

I haven't pulled the trigger to send it in yet but I will not file a paper form.

I am having the same issue, with multiple submission rejections.

I tried going from the simplified AMT calculation to non-simplified. (I really should be using simplified since that's the method I've used in the past.) While this change does in fact add country names to Part I of the 1116AMT forms, it also changes the numbers that come out of the forms. For both my COPY1 (general income) and COPY2 (passive income) percentages in line Part III line 19 change. And in the case of COPY1 (general income) the amount of AMT foreign tax credit utilized also changes (increases a bit). Consequently the amount of AMT foreign tax credit carried forward and available for future years also changes (decreases a bit).

This, as you can imagine, makes me nervous. It's not just a change in name (from simplified to non-simplified method), it's also a change in calculations and outcomes. Given that it's very clear that the simplified method should be used I'd rather not switch to the non-simplified method just to get my e-filing through.

Come on, TurboTax, get this issue fixed please so that all of us (esp. expats) can e-file without sacrificing correctness of our returns! Thanks!

steve200
Returning Member

I have the ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt problem that I didn't have last year.

Last year I did 3 returns.

My return with Foreign Taxes and AMT went through fine.

My parents' return didn't go through and I filed the paper form.  That was a nightmare because the pandemic delayed processing by about 6 months.

My friend's return also didn't go through and I redid it in HRBlock with no problem.

I really like TT so I'm trying to stay with it.  It is frustrating that there is no customer accessible bug system and no commitment to when or if this problem will be fixed.

I have completed my form this year in HRBlock.  It's not perfect.  It has no way to put in the country as "Various" and I have too many countries to fill in a column for all of them.  I would have to pick a single country or use RIC but it's not correct.

So I can file an invalid form with TT or HRBlock and if it gets audited I can update the Foreign Tax pages with no tax differences.  I'm not sure which one is more likely to get flagged.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

The issue has been submitted and is currently under investigation.  If you would like to receive an update for the progress, click on the following link to get notified:

Form 1116 reject error

If you have paid taxes to both foreign and the US tax authorities, the IRS allows you to claim a foreign tax credit on your US tax return.  To claim this foreign tax credit, you would need to file a Form 1116 Foreign Tax Credit.  The amount will show on Schedule 3 line 1 and line 20 on Form 1040.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Where did you find a limit on the number of rejected filings?

Today is March 17, and I am still running into the same problem after multiple attempts. Has anybody been to able to find a solution to this problem (a solution other than taking deduction instead of credit)? Does anybody know how to contact Turbotax support, I have not been able to find their phone number?  Thanks in advance.

LinaJ2020, you have posted the link to "Form 1116 reject error" several times.

However, this link does not address the problem with AMT Form 1116 when using the Simplified Method.

Numerous people on this thread are discussing this issue, which is different from "1099-DIV amounts received from mutual funds" referred to in your link.  Is this separate issue with AMT Form 1116 also under investigation?

One person said that if an e-filed return is rejected 5 times we must paper file.  Is this true?

How long is it going to take TT to fix these problems with the foreign tax credit software? Very frustrating!

TT support can be reached at [phone number removed]. It takes about 1/2 hour to get through to a service rep though. I was told they were working on an update, but was given no timeline. Rep said I would get an email or text when the update was done. I hope it's not in November.

jmoidel
Returning Member

I had the same issue.  I tried everything to get my return accepted and after 6 or 7 tries, 

I changed the field which required a date from "various" to 12/31/2020.

I efiled my return and it was accepted.

I saw that post too.  I have never hear of that.  I know that there are 5 copies of TT per purchase.

jmoidel
Returning Member

I saw something about 5 TurboTax copies.  I think that that refers to returns for different people.

My E-filed return was accepted on the 6th or 7th try.  (I stopped counting).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies