Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

E-file limit

I have 6 children.  I bought Turbo Tax.  They each E-filed their own taxes using Turbo Tax on 2 of my computers  Now, I am trying to file my taxes and it says I have reached my E-file limit.  I bought a SECOND license code.  I uninstalled Turbo Tax and re-installed.  It still says E-file limit reached.  I BOUGHT THE PROGRAM A SECOND TIME.  Please help.  It never prompted me for my license code when I downloaded it for the NEW license code.  What do I need to do to get Turbo Tax to accept my second license code I bought so I can E-file MY Return?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

E-file limit

Buying a second software program was a waste of your money.  You cannot exceed the IRS limit of five federal e-files by purchasing and downloading another copy of the software.  Sorry....you e-filed all the kids' returns and now yours will have to be filed by mail.   

Seek a refund for the second program that you will not be able to use.

To request a refund from TT ;  https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/forms/refund-request.jsp

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

E-file limit

The e-file limit of 5 using personal tax preparation software is set by the IRS.  Purchasing another TurboTax program will not give you another 5 e-files.  The limit is based on your email address and the IP Address.

You should request a refund for the second TurboTax program you purchased.

E-file limit

They were able to efile all 6 returns?  Should have only let them efile 5.  

E-file limit

The software was downloaded on more than 1 computer.  5 were NOT done from my home, therefore would NOT be the same IP address.

E-file limit

My son purchased the 2nd Turbo Tax license code and it is under his email and intuit account.  Why will it Not allow another E-file, when 5 have NOT been done from this computer?  He and I were just trying to file our taxes.  Only 2 have been done from this computer?

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

E-file limit

Please click here for help in contacting Turbo Tax Support.  They may be able to assist you with this issue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

E-file limit

Were ever able to e-file...??

I would think with new purchased copy of TurboTax and create NEW turbotax account login info with son's email info it would work...

I have same issues with exceeded e-files with son's using my TurboTax License Code but with their email addresses which is strange that it worked...

So, i have another email address that i created new TurboTax signin account...

Tried using old code... said this code already used...

So i was think buying new TurboTax software i.e License code and use new account info... because how would it have any association to previous software 

But, seeing your message I have my concerns about new software purchase not working

Maybe I will just contact TurboTax support

E-file limit

I could not get a new license code to work for a tax return I had already started on the old license code.

I put my 2nd license code on a totally different computer, restarted the tax return from scratch, and was able to e file.

I was not willing to start another tax return on the same computer, with a new license code, and it not allow me to efile… even though I had only efiled 2 tax returns on it.

sorry i dont have a better answer.

Extremely frustrating 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies