Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

e-file failure

it will not let me e-file my federal return. I get to the point to e-file  but it will not do it. After hitting the transmit button it says "But before you e-file, we need a little more information that we didn't need earlier". So I hit the CONTINUE button and it only brings you back to the beginning of the filing selection screen. It seems caught in a circular loop basically saying it needs something but does NOT say what that is and/or allow it to be addressed. I have the latest updates on my desktop so how is this problem fixed? Please advise ASAP as filing time is very near. Thanks!  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

e-file failure

Try closing TurboTax, clear your Cache and Cookies if you are using TurboTax Online, and reopen TurboTax.  You can also try a different browser.

Also, make sure you have ran all updates. 

If using TurboTax Online: Clear your cache and cookies. See this FAQ, for your particular browser.

If using TurboTax Desktop: Please see this FAQ.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

e-file failure

Yes, TurboTax sometimes identifies an error, but can't take you to the right spot to fix it. You should be able to figure it out by running the review over. 

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account,
  2. Select Review.
  3. Select Check my Return.
  4. If any details are identified, select Fix Federal. Make any needed corrections. 
  5. Keep repeating until you see Your errors have been cleared, now let's review.
  6. Keep moving through the screens until you either e-file your return, or get a message telling you why you can't e-file. 

e-file failure

ok. did what you said. gets me to Smart Check button. Screen then is "We found 2 areas on your federal return where you'll need to review your entries. We'll handle them one at a time." I hit the continue button then screen says working ... but then screen goes blank and shows nothing. Again, seems caught in a circular loop. How to fix this aspect now? 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

e-file failure

Try closing TurboTax, clear your Cache and Cookies if you are using TurboTax Online, and reopen TurboTax.  You can also try a different browser.

Also, make sure you have ran all updates. 

If using TurboTax Online: Clear your cache and cookies. See this FAQ, for your particular browser.

If using TurboTax Desktop: Please see this FAQ.

e-file failure

Thanks for your reply. After a couple times of clearing the cache and cookies TT finally identified the problem entry and alas went to it directly. From there, I fixed this minor input item then was able to e-file with IRS. Finally! Yee-ha! Thanks again for your answer as it worked. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies