Solved: Dual Status Refund Addition

indra3321

Dual Status Refund Addition

Hello, I am a dual status alien for 2020, and hence had to file 1040NR (using Sprintax). which is my Dual Status Statement and 1040, which is my Dual status return. I have refunds from both tax forms- do I need to add them up, and show them somehow on a note? How should I do that?

Thanks!

LinaJ2020

Dual Status Refund Addition

You do not need to sum them up.  Form 1040 and 1040-NR are two separate forms.  You just need to mail them together to the IRS.  It will be just $X and $Y and IRS will send you the total refund amount.

If you decided to file as dual status, for year 2020, you will file a Form 1040-NR for the period when you are a nonresident, only report US-sourced income. For the period when you are a resident, you will file a Form 1040 reporting worldwide income. As TurboTax does not support nonresident tax forms, you are suggested to visit  Sprintax for the Form 1040NR portion.  You will then use TurboTax to complete the resident portion.  You cannot e-file.  Print out all the tax forms and paper file to the IRS.

For instructions how to file Dual status, see DualStatus under "What and Where To File for a Dual-Status Year" and 1040NR.

To read more about the pros and cons on dual status, click here: Dual status

DavidD66

Dual Status Refund Addition

If you were a Resident Alien at End of Year:

You must file Form 1040, Write "Dual‐Status Return" across the top of the return. Attach a statement to your return to show the income for the part of the year you are a non‐ resident. You can use Form 1040NR, U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return as the statement, but be sure to mark "Dual‐Status Statement" across the top.

If you were a Non‐resident at End of Year:

You must file Form 1040NR, U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return if you are a dual‐ status taxpayer who gives up residence in the United States during the year and who is not a U.S. resident on the last day of the tax year. Write "Dual‐Status Return" across the top of the return. Attach a statement to your return to show the income for the part of the year you are a resident. You can use Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return as the statement, but be sure to mark "Dual‐Status Statement" across the top.

indra3321

Dual Status Refund Addition

Hi thanks for the input. I understand that process, but it does not mention how I sum up the refunds- I have $X from 1040 NR and $Y from 1040.  I ended the year being a Resident. S0 1040 is my dual status return, and 1040 NR is my statement.

Where do I put the sum ($X+$Y), if anywhere? Or do I not have to sum the refund amounts at all? 

Cheers! 

LinaJ2020

Dual Status Refund Addition

indra3321

Dual Status Refund Addition

Thank you! Much appreciated!

Cheers